Friday, November 4, 2011

Introductory Non-Formal Letter to my Professor

I am taking Finance Management-783 in the School of Government.  It is a course that is taught by two professors.  The first half of the course is taught by a professor who teaches us accounting and how to read, analyze and create our own financial statements for non-profits and government.  The second half of the course is taught by another professor who will teach us how to analyze and create budgets. 

Well, we just finished the first half of the semester and so we have to introduce ourselves to the next professor.  His first assignment is to write a non-formal letter to him so that he can get to know each one of us "through our own words". 

Here is the short letter that I wrote to him:


Dear Professor Mullin,

My name is Adilene Flores but everyone calls me “Adi”.  I was raised in Los Angeles, California and have three brothers and a sister.  Back in California, I have nine Chihuahuas and I miss every single one of them dearly.  When choosing where to further my studies, I have always tried to stay in the west coast but for both my undergraduate and graduate degrees, I have been very unsuccessful at this.  I received my bachelors in International Relations Political Science degree from Wellesley College in Wellesley, Massachusetts.  Currently, I am working towards an M.S. in Education through the International Educational Development Program at the Graduate School of Education here at Upenn.  I will be applying to law school next year and hopefully I will be staying in California, but we’ll see…

My “big” life project is to open up a school for indigenous communities in Mexico.  I also hope to one day write a book about proper strategies to an effective bilingual education for Spanish speaking children.  I do hope that my guidelines will improve other bilingual programs but I will be making the guidelines specifically with Spanish speaking children in mind.  I am a very hard worker.  I love challenges and I would like to say that I am an open minded person. 

My biggest adventure that I have “embarked” on is when I was a junior in college.   Inspired by “The Motorcycle Diaries”, I tried to travel all over Latin America.  Unfortunately and comically, my trip was cut short because I caught the swine flu.  The reaction that both of my roommates had to the disease was a meager sore throat.  I, on the other hand, was bed ridden for almost a week.  And for like three days I literally thought that I was going to die. I have never felt so sick in my life!  But I survived, recovered and am now here taking your class J.  Hopefully you’ll enjoy having me as a student as much as I think that I’ll enjoy having you as a professor.


Best wishes,


Adilene Flores

No comments:

Post a Comment