Monday, November 28, 2011

Isn’t it a guy thing?

So I finally scratched up my glasses to the point of no return.  After two years of wearing the same glasses and of basically avoiding the Optometrist, I had to admit that I needed new glasses.  I have astigmatism and a case of lazy eye on top of the normal myopia deal. 

I hate going to any type of doctor, not that I don’t think that they won’t help or anything.  It just takes so much time to get there and then come back… and then you factor in the time it takes to get ready… and then the waiting in the lobby room near magazines that you know that you’re not supposed to be touching because who knows how many other sick people read and probably sneezed through them.  Ah!  It’s just too much time.  I rather just let the problem grow… which is the worst thing that I can do and I know it.  But I don’t care.  I use my school work and other extracurricular activities to push those dreaded doctor appointments for later, much later…

            Well, everyone is due at some point and my time arrived.  And now I have to pay for being so irresponsible about my eyesight.  Hoping to get new glasses by the end of Thanksgiving week, I went to the optometrist early last week.  Well, alas things didn’t work out.  He ordered me to not use contacts for about a week and to then go take the eye test again because my eyes were a bit swollen from wearing contacts and hence my new glasses prescription might be skewed.  GREAT!  Two doctor visits in one week.  But I deserved it and so I stopped wearing contacts and basically walked around completely blind (because my normal glasses were impossible to see through).  This was fine because it was during Thanksgiving week.

But now, school is back and I have no glasses, irritated eyes and walking around with a pair of sunglasses with a two year old prescription. Lol I look ridiculously hilarious!  I take my sunglasses off for class but while studying in the library, GSE computer room, or any other place where I can study… well, I’m wearing my sunglasses.  Lol  I don’t care.  I desperately need them.  Even with them I am getting huge headaches for straining my eyes.  Imagine if I didn’t wear them?  I am not about to explain to every single person that stares at me in the library about why I am wearing my sunglasses. I’m just going to let them figure it out for themselves. 
Life is good.  I’m happy that I have my sunglasses but I do hope that my new clear glasses come in soon.  I have a huge headache and I really don’t like it (who does?).  Plus, I don't think that my daily dose of ibuprofen in order to take care of my headaches is good for me in the long run...
So it isn’t just a “guy thing” to avoid the doctor.  It’s also a thing for girls who “putt things to the last minute”.  I don’t know if I have learned my lesson though… the comical twist that my sunglasses have brought to this otherwise tragedy lol has sort of turned around the situation.  But I really shouldn’t do this with my dentist appointment…  I'll hopefully go to that one this month.  :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment