Monday, February 27, 2012

Raw food diet or not?

As the semester is beginning to get more and more intense (workload wise),  Nigel and I have been struggling with finding time to exercise and to cook (good meals).  It’s such a shame that the weather is getting “Southern California” people friendly and that I am at the same time in the heat of mid-terms ( Oh how hot! Lol).  One solution that we thought of (actually Nigel’s sister suggested it) is maybe going on a raw food diet.  The cooking time will simply just consist of washing the fruits and vegetables.  And because we would be eating so healthy then (I believe) we won’t need to exercise as often during the week.  It’s like killing two birds with one stone!  Perfect J

I know that a lot of people claim that eating raw food (and only raw food) has many advantages to your digestive system, immunity may aid weight loss and often gives an energy boost.  Like many other issues these statements have been contested.  And some also say that the disadvantages of a raw food diet are also plentiful.  For example, not cooking your vegetables above (I think 118F) doesn’t kill food borne illnesses like Salmonella which causes diarrhea and other discomforts… Also, it is said that cooked vegetables contain nutrients that the raw form of the same vegetables just doesn’t have.  So, when a carrot and a tomato are cooked they each give off certain nutrients that they wouldn’t have, had they been eaten raw.    

Having been a very strict vegetarian for four years, I know that a change in diet can have a tremendous effect on the body (and mind).  I think that extremes are always dangerous.  Maybe we’ll do like two or three days a week where we will eat raw food.   I guess that I am fearful of depriving my body of crucial vitamins and minerals that I need.  I’ll think it through… J

No comments:

Post a Comment