Sunday, March 11, 2012

Alternative Spring Break Gitters

Today is the first day of my “Gates Millennium Scholar Alternative Spring Break”!  I am definitely not done with all of my packing.  Since, I haven’t received any type of schedule for what exactly is going to happen during this “community service alternative Spring Break”… I don’t exactly know what kind of clothes to pack for the upcoming week.  My best guess is that jeans and nice shirts will do it.  J

I’m so excited to get started!  Basically, the Alternative Spring Break (ASB) is a week of community service here in the city of Philadelphia.  Sixty people were chosen for the ASB.  I don’t know how many applied but the application process consisted of two or three essays (can’t quite remember) in response to two or three prompt questions given by the people who I guess were going to read our essays and select the people from there.  You also had to submit a resume and then hope for the best!  Lol  

I am intimidated by the fact that I don’t exactly know what type of community service we are going to do.  I AM known for misplacing key information about events and my email account does have an infamous reputation for sending everything important to "spam"... Maybe, I just missed the information somehow... (highly likely)  I know that it will have to do with education and library science but not knowing the exact services sort of worries me.  I really don’t want to be outside.  I don’t like the cold.  I am also not the strongest person in the block so if any constant heavy lifting is required then O.M.G.  But whatever, I’ll do whatever is asked of me.  It’s just for a week so how bad can it be?  J 

I can’t wait to meet my roommate!  All of the GMS events that I’ve been part of have been great.  Actually, I’ve only gone to one other GMS event.  But that’s enough to know that whatever is GMS related will be great (and fun)!  Allright!  I’m going to finish packing now.  Peace! 

No comments:

Post a Comment