Sunday, April 8, 2012

IEDP Internship!

It is now official.  I am going to go to Cabo Delgado, Mozambique for my IEDP field internship. 

          I will be working with the Agha Khan Foundation.  My main job is to evaluate an adult literacy program.  Other students from IEDP are working in different parts of Africa, some are heading to Latin America, Asia and Europe.  Oh!  And some decided to take internships here in the United States (San Francisco, New York, D.C.).  Basically, IEDP students are going to be all over the world this summer.  To my knowledge, the different organizations that IEDP students will be working for are UNESCO, OECD, IDEA, World Vision, and others. 

I think that at this point all of us have a set internship.  I am very happy with mine.  Nonetheless, it was unexpected.  My “forte” is the Latin America area.  And so I naturally thought that I was going to go to Latin America and further strengthen my career there.  Nonetheless, Professor Wagner encouraged me to work in my interest but in a different context.  Since I’m still a student of international development, Dr. Wagner thought that it be important for me to be exposed to as much of the world as possible.  And I agree.

Depending on each other’s schedules we each will be departing on different dates to our specific destinations.  As for me, I will be heading to Africa a few days after graduation.  I’m so excited!  I’ve already started preparing for Africa (e.g. applying for my VISA and vaccinations!)

No comments:

Post a Comment